New ad features abortion survivor as Supreme

A New York City man, who was out on parole for a prior gun-related conviction, on Tuesday walked up to a 13-year-old boy on his way to school and shot him in the neck, authorities said.

Hubert Wiggs, 36, was not only out on parole for a 2010 firearms and illegal drug conviction, but he was also out on bail for possession of an illegal firearm in 2019, NYPD Assistant Chief Kenneth Lehr said Tuesday during a presser following the incident.

“So this individual today is on the street while on parole for a firearm, while out on bail for another firearm,” Lehr said. “And today he’s walking around the Bronx with a firearm. And we have a 13-year-old boy shot in the neck, and for the grace of God he’s alive here today.”

Police recovered a six-shot revolver at the scene.
Police recovered a six-shot revolver at the scene. (NYPD)

Lehr added that these incidents continue to occur and that this shooting “should not have happened.”

A controversial bail reform law New York implemented in January 2020 made release before trial automatic for most people accused of misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies. Authorities have said the law has made it difficult to keep criminals off the streets and that suspects are routinely released for serious crimes.

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea posted about Tuesday morning’s incident on social media, writing: “1 inch to the side & this is a very different story.”

The shooting happened just after 7:30 a.m. on East 223rd Street, near Bronxwood Avenue in the Bronx, police said. The boy was walking to a train station on his way to school in Manhattan when Wiggs allegedly met him in the middle of the street and fired one shot, striking the boy in the neck.

The boy initially kept walking until he realized he was injured and looked for help, sources told FOX5 New York. He was rushed to Jacobi Hospital.

Officers arrived at the scene and saw a man quickly put something on the ground and pick it up, police said. Officers quickly determined the object was a gun and ordered the man to drop the firearm.,51201405.html,51201393.html

An 8-year-old child who has become the sixth person to have died in the Waukesha Christmas parade attack is being remembered by the baseball team he was marching with as a “sweet, talented boy who was a joy to coach.”

Jackson Sparks, who underwent brain surgery on Sunday night, died from his injuries on Tuesday, according to a GoFundMe page set up for his family. Jackson and his 12-year-old brother, Tucker, who was marching alongside him, were one of three sets of siblings to have been injured in the attack.

“This afternoon, our dear Jackson has sadly succumbed to his injuries and passed away,” read a post on the page, adding that “Tucker, by the grace of God is miraculously recovering from his injuries and will be discharged home.”  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *